STEPPING FORWARD TO INDEPENDENCE
Stepping Forward to Independence is for young people with a permanent cognitive impairment or intellectual disability.
Participants will complete 22302VIC Certificate I in Work Education on Mondays and Wednesdays where the focus will be on:
- identifying work goals and testing these in practical placements
- exploring training and education pathways to jobs
- developing employability skills
- improving literacy and numeracy skills
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, participants focus on Life Skills and Health & Well-being Skills to support transition to a more independent, adult life. A range of weekly modules will be undertaken across the year including:
- Digital Literacy & Cyber-Safety
- Preparing Yourself for Success in Work & Further Study
- Kitchen Operations for Life & Work
- Independence Building: Skills for Life as an Adult Learner
- Creative Work for Employment and Life Balance
- Building Independence through Community Access
- Introduction to Horticulture
- Get Ready for Work
Thursdays will also be Community Participation day. Every independent young person should know what community resources and facilities are available to them. So every second or third Thursday participants will have an opportunity to travel and explore new places around Melbourne and the Western suburbs. This will include travel planning and training to build independence in traveling to and accessing services in our community.
Participants will be supported by qualified teachers with the skills and experience needed to effectively support young people transitioning to successful, independent adult life.
HOW WE WORK WITH THE NDIS
If you are an NDIS registered client we will work with you to include your funded supports (including, but not limited to, your personal support worker) into our program.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU CONTINUES AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE PROGRAM
Laverton Community Education Centre is committed to securing pathways to realistic further education, employment and community participation outcomes for all students in this program. At the end of your 12 months with us, you’ll know clearly where-to next in your journey to greater independence.
- Our next group commences in January 2020. Apply now for a place
- Mondays to Thursdays
- Course Length
- 1 year
Laverton Community Hub
95-105 Railway Ave
Wood St Arts Space
44 Woods St
Laverton Community Education Centre
12 Crown St
Eligible students can access government funding for this program